Wednesday, December 21, 2011

First Steps

Most of us remember our first time shooting, for me it was at a clay pigeon with my Dad’s Browning over/under.  Most of us don’t remember our first steps as a baby, but the parents remember it.  I remember my Daughter’s first step.  It caught us off guard, but there she was coming down the hall.  We launched for our camera.  Why do parents always want a picture and a video?  The memory is etched in my mind.




A few weeks ago, Sydnie took her first step with a shotgun.  It’s proud moment for a parent, but just as a baby’s first step, it was an awkward moment for her.  She shot twice at a target and the first time nearly knocked her backwards.  By the second shot, she was steady, held the gun tight to her shoulder and hit the target at 30 yards. 

Of course we don’t expect a 9 month old baby to take off running a mile.  I shouldn’t expect my daughter to hit tough shots now.  Instead, it’s all about safety and learning to shoot.

1 comment:

Eastern Shore Outdoors said...

great post..my son is also starting with a shotgun and he measured his performance by how many he broke...it was hard to convince him that it is about feeling comfortable with the gun first.